If you are experiencing hair loss, you are not alone. The causes of Alopecia is a common problem that affects both men and women of all ages. Did you know that hair loss is one of the most common problems faced by men and women around the world?
In fact, according to the World Health Organization, about 50% of men will experience some degree of hair loss by the time they reach 50 years old. Lesser known is that even 40% of women experience some form of hair loss in their lifetime.
While baldness is often associated with old age, it can also affect people of any age. There are many different causes of hair loss, but today we will be discussing alopecia, its causes and potential treatment options.
What are the Causes of Alopecia?
Alopecia can be caused by a variety of factors including, but not limited to genetics, stress, hormonal changes, medical conditions, and autoimmune diseases, or just plainly a natural sign of aging. Alopecia can also be caused by certain medications and hair products.
If you are experiencing hair loss, it is important to see a doctor to rule out any underlying medical conditions.
- Hormonal Changes – To explain alopecia resulting from hormonal changes, we first must explain what DHT is. Dihydrotestosterone, also known as DHT, is derived from normal testosterone, a male dominant hormone. When DHT attacks hair follicles, they become less strong, resulting in fallout.
- Stress – Stress on its own is a general umbrella term for significant distress in your daily life caused by numerous things such as change in medication, physical trauma, nutrient deficiency or major life changes. These factors typically lead to an increase in stress, which is detrimental to hair growth.
- Autoimmune Diseases – Another common cause of alopecia is autoimmune diseases. In an autoimmune disease, the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks its own cells. Alopecia areata is an autoimmune condition that results in patchy hair loss on the scalp.
- Medical Conditions – There are many different medical conditions which can lead to hair loss. These include, but are not limited to, thyroid problems, anemia, lupus, and diabetes.
- Natural Causes – Lastly, naturally, as humans age, we lose hair. Though there are ways to prevent natural hair loss, we must recognize that this is an extremely normal and common occurrence for many.
Alopecia vs. Balding
Contrary to popular belief, alopecia and balding are not the same thing. Alopecia is the sudden onset of hair loss, while balding is a gradual process. Balding usually affects older men and often leads to complete baldness.
The causes of Alopecia can affect people of any age and does not necessarily lead to complete baldness. Alopecia is an umbrella term for general hair loss, whereas male pattern baldness obviously occurs in those who were assigned male at birth.
Male pattern baldness also happens in assigned patterns, hence the name. These patterns can be compared on the Norwood Scale to determine what stage of male pattern baldness any specific person may be in. Typically, it’s easier to treat and prevent male pattern baldness the earlier on it is caught.
Treatment Options For Hair Loss
What treatment options are there for hair loss? There are a number of different treatment options for hair loss. The most common form of treatment is hair restoration surgery, which is often used to treat male pattern baldness.
This surgical procedure transplants hair from one area of the scalp to another. There are also non-surgical options to restore hair. RESTORE Hair specializes in both of these methods.
- Surgical treatments – These options include F.U.E. or F.U.T. hair transplant procedures where a doctor harvests hair grafts to be relocated to balding areas of the scalp to encourage new and long-term growth
- Nonsurgical treatments – These options include PRP, laser cap therapy, and prescription medications
Treatment plans are tailored specifically to the patient and can be determined through either and in-person or virtual consultation at RESTORE Hair.
Typically, nonsurgical options are the more cost conscious solutions; however, hair transplant procedures typically deliver the more aggressive results. Though hair transplant can be expensive, it should be viewed as a long-term investment for yourself. RESTORE Hair offers payment plan options that can also be discussed within a consultation.
Additional Options For Treating Hair Loss
In addition to the treatments already mentioned, there are a few additional things you can do to help prevent hair loss or promote hair growth.
- Change Your Diet – Eating a healthy diet is important for your overall health, but it can also have an impact on your hair. Be sure to include plenty of protein, iron, and omega-three fatty acids in your diet.
- Reduce Stress – As mentioned earlier, stress can be a major contributor to hair loss. If you are under a lot of stress, try to find ways to relax and de-stress. This may include exercise, yoga, or meditation.
- Use Supplements – There are a number of different supplements which can help promote hair growth. These include biotin, saw palmetto, and ginseng.
The Causes of Alopecia can be a difficult thing to deal with, but there are treatments available. Be sure to consult with a qualified physician to discuss your options and find the best course of treatment for you. If you are concerned about hair loss or have questions about the treatment options available, be sure to visit RESTORE Hair.
We specialize in hair restoration and have both surgical and non-surgical treatment options available. You can also contact us for a free consultation.
If you are not in the market for surgical or nonsurgical treatment options at the moment, another solution that some may find useful are medical wigs. They can be a good option for alopecia or male pattern baldness sufferers. More information on medical wigs for alopecia can be found here.
Treat Your Hair Loss Now
If you or a loved one are struggling with alopecia or any sort of hair loss, know that there are many options available to you. Though it can seem like an embarrassing topic, many more people than you may think also suffer from hair loss.
It is extremely normal and although it can have a negative impact on self-confidence, RESTORE Hair prides itself on offering all possible avenues to patients based on their own specific experience with hair loss.
If you are experiencing hair loss, don’t wait. There are treatments available that can help restore your hair. RESTORE Hair specializes in both surgical and non-surgical hair restoration and we can help find the best treatment plan for you. Contact us today for a free consultation.